From:
alphachi <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 11 May 1997 05:39:05 -0400
Well, Sterling, there really is no real proof that these very early
surgeries are a cause of adrenal problems even though we DO believe that
overall, these surgeries cannot be beneficial and appear to cause a less
developed adult.  You may be right about the adrenal connection, we just
don't know yet.  But we should try to NOT to jump to any conclusions as
utter certainty.  I am really happy to hear about the adopting out of a few
MF "retired" breeders.  Unfortunately, that still leaves thousands and
thousands to die way before their time.  THe numbers are boggling.  MF is
taking a tiny step in the right direction.  Hopefully, it is not a "token"
step to sway public concern.  Sorta like Denny's hiring a few black
supervisors to mask years of racism and pretend everything is ok.  They
learned the hard way that wouldn't work.  Perhaps MF will show some true
foresight and humanity.  They have the facilities and unique opportunity to
help in many ferret health issues.  Of course, if MF is only interested in a
"product" with a well-defined obsolescence (read life span), they do not
need to.  Their growth, unfortunately, substantiates that it's already long
enough to make sales, again and again.  Time will tell, Sterling, time will
tell.  Meanwhile, way too many ferrets are being dumped into pet store bins
too soon, and sold to completely uninformed patrons too often.  Good luck to
Lydia, and to all the other Lydias' there are and those yet to be.

best wishes,
until next time,
alphachi