From:
Patricia Curtis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 4 May 1997 21:04:57 -0700
Well, I am afraid the news is about what I expected with little Freya.  Her
Lymphosarcoma is very advanced.  There is nothing that can be done for her
except Pediapred to make her think she feels okay.  She's only been given
two months to live.  I HATE sometimes when I am right.

She doesn't have the adrenal problems that Mork did, so she doesn't have any
hairloss, except her belly where it was shaved for the test.  The cancer has
invaded her abdomen and her liver, at least, we stopped there, that was
enough.  She is a tiny thing, a dark sable female, with lighter face, no
mask, and freckled nose.

She has two large tumors in her lower belly and they seem to bother her when
she walks, especially if she has to climb things.  So I changed her cage a
bit to make things easier.  She came with a boot box that she loves to sleep
in.  Luckily it fits through the cage door.  The top closes in completely so
there's a hole in the side for her to get in and out.  I changed the hole
and cut it lower for her and a bit bigger so she could get in and out
easier.  I think she likes it much better now.  I had a very low litter box
in her cage already, one of those made for ferrets that has one end lowered.
Well, I built her a ramp sort of, out of folded towels, so she could walk
right into the box without having to climb or step over a lip at all.  She
*really* seems happy that I did that.

She gets Pediapred three times a day, but she hates it.  So I mix it with
Duck Soup and she loves that, she thinks she is getting a treat!!  I don't
intend to let her know anything different :) She is eating TF very well, and
her poop looks great!!  She never even got the greenies.

I have been letting her play in my bedroom (more to explore) and she seemed
to like a silky-type pink night gown (thanks Roxanne!  uh hope you don't
mind, hmmm, maybe I'd better explain...Roxanne lives in another state, but
donated some wonderful things to the shelter she knew the kids or I could
use).  I had put it under my dresser (for the kids of course) and everytime
I went to get Freya to put her back in her cage I'd find her curled up in
the night gown.  So I took out her blanky and put the gown in her boot box
instead, she loves it!  Oh, I gave her a hammock too, hung very low for her,
she uses it a little, but prefers the night gown for sleeping.

Next I am considering figuring out how to set her cage up in my bedroom on
the floor and leave the door open during the day so she can come and go as
she pleases (with appropriate ramps of course).  That way she'll have lots
of freedom for her remaining time.  But boy is my bedroom crowded already!
Let me go count...there's 16 ferrets in there already with cages and
accessories!  Oh well, what's one more :>

So I am very sad that Freya's time here will be so short, but I am doing
everything I can to make her comfortable and happy.  Freya is a former
breeder who'd had 3 litters and then was spayed.  She's 3 to 4 years old.
She'd probably never been treated much like a pet, or not like one of mine
anyway!  So she'll be spoiled rotten just as Mork was.  I sure miss that
kid!!

Kisses to the fuzzies,
Trish
Director, Ferrets First Rescue & Shelter