From:
Bobbi Hunsaker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 16 Apr 1999 13:00:47 -0400
I had no problem with the first 3 ferrets I got (1 from a pet store, adult,
2 from ads in the paper).  All got along well.  The next two were abused
and didn't have a clue as to how to play, they just attacked.  They were
kept in a separate cage and I would tap them on the shoulder if they got
too rough with any of my other babies (it worked, don't ask me how) and
sometimes timed them out too.  Then I got two more that came together (from
an ad in the paper).  Still no problem.  Then two more (this time from a
shelter).  One of them didn't like the others.  I tried pairing her off
with individual ferrets but she didn't like any of mine.  With deep regret
I had to return her to the shelter.  The good news is, she found a friend
at the shelter and was later adopted with her friend by a nice couple.
Are you keeping track?  I'm up to 8.  Then while on my way to the show in
Cincinnati, I stopped to pick up a friend and adopted 2 more.  While at the
show, I bought a huge cage (3 floors) and put them all together.  No more
separate cages.  They get along great.  Now I have 10, my self-imposed
limit.  Now I know the people that read the FML that know me are saying
"yea, right" but I've got 10!  Lord, I never thought in my wildest dreams.
Back on the subject, there are occassions when someone gets a wild hair and
gets alittle agressive, I just scruff them, not too vigorously (less is
more, in the case of MY ferrets), if that doesn't work, I put alittle
bitter apple on the "victim's" neck and ears.  Things usually quiet down
after that.  So with 11 different personalities, I only had one that didn't
work.  I don't think that's bad.