From:
"Lisa Leidig - The Ferret Haven \"By-the-Sea\"" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 2 Jan 2000 10:28:40 EST
Concerning Aleutians disease, the information that I received from United
Vaccines recommends 3 cycles of testing scheduled the first year, and twice
yearly after that.

I went to a number of shows during the period of time between July and
November, without being aware of the possible presence of ADV.  I took
normal precautions with my ferrets, but nothing extraordinary.

When the ADV possibility came out in late November, I had all of my ferrets
tested - all the shelter ferrets and my personal ferrets.  My vet charged
$15.00 for each test, and $36.00 for shipping.  Total cost was just over
$400.00 (26 ferrets).  Thankfully, no one here tested positive for exposure
to ADV.  We will retest in February, just in case.

I would hope that people respond to the possibility of spreading ADV with
facts, not fear.  If you think you have been exposed, or god forbid, have
the virus - test your ferrets.  If they test positive - please don't expose
other ferrets.  Its really that simple.  The choice of whether or not to
euthanise can only be made by that person -but if you don't, then take the
appropriate measures to protect other ferrets from yours.

I will quote from the Wessex Ferret Club website "... Transmission of the
virus occurs both "vertically" and "horizontally".  Vertical transmission
is from jill to kit through the placenta.  Horizontal transmission is
through body fluids -- saliva, blood, urine, faeces and aerosol droplets
through the lungs.  The last of which can occur up to a metre in distance.
An infected hob is obviously a risk at mating.  The evidence we have
collected since 1990 indicates that not all ferrets in contact with CEP
positive animals, become infected themselves.  This may be because not all
CEP positive ferrets are actively shedding the virus.

A once yearly blood test is the basis of control.  The following action
should be taken in the case of negative and positive results:-

Negative -- Only breed with other tested/negative stock.  Obtain new stock
from similar-tested animals.  Keep out of direct or indirect contact with
untested ferrets.  It is most unlikely that infection will be contracted
whilst out hunting.

Positive -- This does present some difficult choices, particularly with CEP
positive ferrets that look healthy.  If an owner has one or two ferrets
then he or she may decide to keep them for their natural life, but
obviously no breeding should be done and they must be strictly isolated
from other ferrets.  Where an owner has a number of ferrets and only one or
two are positive, then culling them has to be considered.  From a practical
point of view it would be very difficult to keep the positives totally
isolated from the negatives on the same premises.  If the positives are
culled, then the negative contact ferrets should be retested once, not
less than 4 weeks later, in order to establish that the group is CEP
negative...." (BIG, if you can't print this, their website with some
excellent information is located at:
http://www1c.btwebworld.com/beechhouse/ferrets.htm)

United Vaccines will provide information and help in living with ADV, as
well as testing information.

Lisa, Head Ferret
The Ferret Haven "By-the-Sea"
http: www.ferrethaven.org
Want to help The Ferret Haven By-the-Sea? Register at iGive.com
by cutting and pasting this link:
http://www.iGive.com/html/ssi.cfm?CID=1236&MID=854