From:
Jen N Andre <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 15 Oct 2000 19:21:15 -0300
I think I can claim to be a professional in this field :)  Newton was 2
when we got a second ferret.  It took 5 months before I dared leave them
unsupervised together.  Screaming, biting, vicious behaviour... the whole
shabang.  Since this episode we've added 2 more ferrets, with lots of
protest from Newton each time.  Each time however, it got a little easier
and we learned what worked and what didnt...

What worked:
1. Separate cages within sniffing distance
2. Daily blanket-switching between cages to get them used to each
   other's smell
3. Bitter apple cream (lots) on BOTH ferret's necks EVERY time they are
   together
4. Keep the encouters pleasant and brief (see if they will stop fighting
   long enough to lick some linatone together)
5. Be careful... you might consider a pair of gloves to separate the
ferrets if you don't know how they will react to each other (I received
quite a bite while introducing my latest ferret... he was terrified~ new
home, new smells, and a mean ferret biting and screaming at him whenever
she could reach him.  I separated them in the middle of a fight and he
got me on the arm.  He felt awful about it... never saw such a sook
afterward.  I could tell he was sorry)
6. Be patient. It took 5 months for me the first time, 3 weeks the =
second time and only around one week the third time.

What didn't work:
1. Scolding Newton (they are aggressive out of fear. Be kind)
2. Restraining Newton to let the other ferret sniff her (talk about
   stress...)

Mine get along great now.  I chuckle when I see Newton flash a dirty look
at one of the others now and then, but it never goes any farther than that.

I've been away from the FML for around 5 or 6 years now... it's good to be
back.  Surprised to see a couple of names I remember!

Jen
(Ferrets- Newton, Dobie, Fig and Mojo)
(Airhead terrier- Maggie)