From:
Cassandra Wassenaar <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 21 Jan 2009 07:00:44 -0800
Hey there! I just wanted to put my 2 cents in on the matter of A/d vs
Z/d. I'm a technician so I have a bit of experience with this plus I
work closely with my Hill's rep. I'll even ask her next time I see
her if she has any insight. The main thing, I think, why a vet would
prescribe A/D is because of the ferret's high metabolism and the fact
that they are obligate carnivores. Z/D is created with a "hydrolized"
protein source and boasts it has no animal protein whatsoever. A/D has
a high calorie diet (hence the name: Anorexia Diet) and two of the main
ingredients are pork liver and chicken.

The A/D may or may not help the IBD, but I don't think a ferret could
thrive on the z/d diet.

And out of curiosity, any raw feeders on the list? Half my zoo is raw
fed and I'm currently in the process of switching my cats. Any vet that
tells you it's a bad bad diet hasn't done their homework. (Plus the
vets get some money for selling Hills and Purina and the prescription
brands, so they'll deny it :P)