From:
Doug Gerald <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 28 Feb 1996 13:25:06 -0500
ok Ok *OK* .... (No, Linda, I do not have cabin fever [yet]) But *I* liked
the story!

Doug Gerald, et al.  Alaska says hi yet again.

Actually the story - the punch line anyway - was from a joke told to me a
couple of years ago by a close friend, who I am sure did not want to offend
me.  It was in this spirit that I passed it on to you.

The main character was a farmer and the animal in question was a pig, and it
has since become one of my favorites.  With all the injuries, deaths, and
medical problems, I thought it might help.  Incidently, the Kobuk River and
Great Kobuk Sand Dunes are real, and caribou do roam the area by the
hundreds of thousands.

I have been following the quest for the Ferret Tunnels over the past few
days, and have an alternate solution.  This, by the way, could help solve
the electrical cord biting problem.  We have three ferrets - (or is it the
other way around), and for about $16.00 we purchased 50 feet of 4" diameter
plastic hose, the kind that is used for clothes dryers.  This was a
suggestion made by another FML subscriber.  We have our sound system, TV,
etc.  against one wall, and they kept running back there to play.  At any
rate, I cut a section long enough to fit behind the cabinets and shelving,
such that they could enter at one end of the equipment, and exit on the
other side.

They *love* it.

You can cut the stuff with scissors except for the wire, and standard
cutters work well for that.  (actually you can cut it *all* with scissors if
you don't tell your wife!) I used duct tape at either end to keep the wire
ends from poking the carpet sharks.  I suppose the more dainty of you could
then cover the ends with fabric to make it part of the decor.  The tubing
lays on top of the cords so the animals leave them alone.

We have also cut three smaller lengths, and put them in the middle of the
floor when the ferrets are out of their cage.  They look like furry tube
worms when they get inside to play.  Elevating the tubing at the center
(with a pillow, etc.) seems to add to their fun.  I can envision using
standard PVC fittings and clamps along with the tubing to create a super
play environment for very little cost.

NOW ... understand, I am compelled to do this ....

The other day my frantic wife called the Psychic Vet Line and proclaimed, "I
have been having these *ferret dreams*!".

"The night before last I dreamed I was in a big blue room and my pet, Tory
was a wigwam.  Last night I had a similar dream, and my pet, Lori was a
teepee!"

"Does this mean they are going to be sick ... or *worse*?"

"No", the all seeing vet replied, "relax, they're just two tents."

Lighten up!

Doug, Sue, Penny - Lori, Tory, and Shadow