From:
Lorraine Miller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 11 Feb 2002 09:20:25 -0700
>There are a few issues that he and I don't agree on, but we have been
>able to work out an arrangement that is comfortable for both of us.  When
>something questionable comes up, he does give me several options and lets
>me make the final decision on how I would like to proceed.

Phyllis,

That attitude right there is a very good sign.  If this vet is listening
to your concerns and considering your suggetions you are in good hands
most likely.

Where I live I take my fuzzbut to a practice that specializes in small
animals -- they see no dogs or cats whatsoever.  Over the years I have
heard grumblings and complaints about this clinic.  Usually it has come
from people who don't like the fact that this clinic charges a little more
or that they recommend that you take older ferrets in twice a year for
check-ups, not just once (i.e. just a money grabber).  Well, I thouroughly
respect my vet and I have no objection to coughing up an extra $10 per
visit for her expertise.  (Besides, I also learned through a different
source that she deals with a lot of the small zoo animals -- if they are
willing to trust her with rare and endangered critters that is as good of
a recommendation as I need.)

I don't think there is any such thing as a perfect vet.  No matter who
you deal with there is going to be somebody who is going to recommend a
different approach.  If your critter is heading for some "complicated"
medical issues, the best thing you can do is do some research yourself on
the illness so that you feel comfortable discussing options with your vet
and deciding on treatments.

Just remember to keep an open mind when you talk to your vet.  You may
think you have read of the "most" appropriate treatment for dealing with
your critter, however, your vet may have some valid reasons for using a
different approach.

Good luck
Lorraine