From:
Gabrielle Lastname <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 13 Oct 2003 10:32:12 -0500
Gary <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: But Mine Never Leave the House...

Well, there doesn't need to be an unscreened window for a bat to get in.
As I posted to the FML in May, 2003, I had *two* occasions where bats
flew into my house through the ductwork that goes from the outside of
the building to the bathroom fan, then through the 1 1/4" space between
the top of the ceiling and the fan/light casing that is inset into the
ceiling.  I have talked to the apartment people, and there is just no way
to make sure the bats can't get in -- we can't put mesh wire because it
would eventually clog up and cause a fire hazard.  We can't put mesh on
the outside of the fan because it would restrict the air flow too much
and cause a fire hazard.  So I just keep the bathroom door shut at night
now!

I live in an urban setting, in a high floor of a big high-rise apartment
building.  I had NO idea that bats even lived in the city, let alone
that they could manage to squish through that teensy tiny opening that I
didn't even know was there!  And that *had* to be it -- I have wall A/C
units that don't have any opening to the outside that would be big enough
for even a bat to get in.  There is no other ductwork in the house, the
walls and floors are poured concrete, and I never open any windows that
don't have rock-solid tight screens (as I once lost a ferret b/c it
worked the screen out of the window).

Luckily, neither bat seemed interested in anything but exiting the house,
but criminey!, what a shock!!!!  And I was SOOO glad that I had them
vaccinated for rabies, just so I didn't have to worry!  It really makes
me wonder how often this has happened in the past when I just wasn't
awake to see it!  I know that the chance of a bat flying in my house and
actually having rabies is really really small, but man, I would hate to
win that particular "lottery."

Melissa