From:
jeffrey meyer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 21 Nov 1997 05:08:33 -0500
Alan you seem to be unaware of the fact that the animal control agencies
have recieved a statement from MAD MARY telling them to treat ferrets like
dogs and cats.  I following is an email i recieved as confirmation.
Jeffrey:

I am the Supervisor of the Kent County Animal Shelter, the animal control
agency for Kent County, MI (in Grand Rapids).  Today we received word from
MI Dept of Comm Health, under Dr Stobierski's byline, that we may now treat
ferrets in the same manner as dogs and cats following "potential rabies
exposure".

My staff has already been advised that from this date forward, ferrets that
are reported as having bitten, scratched, or exposed mucous membranes to
their saliva need no longer be euthanized and tested.

I assume this news will be greeted with relief from all ferret owners.  I
can tell you that our officers are relieved to no longer be in the no-win
position of taking away people's ferrets following the statutorily-described
exposure situations.

This change in policy comes as the result of the newest research AND upon
the advice of the Rabies Compendium Committee (who notified Dr. Stobierski
of their findings).  In turn, Dr Stobierski placed this notice out on the
HEALTHLINE which was picked up by our parent agency, Kent County Health Dept.

Please share this news with GLFA leadership for us.

Barbara J. Williams ([log in to unmask])
Grand Rapids, MI

Yes it is true that no laws have changed but with the current laws the way
they are as soon as the compendium comes out it will be law and not just
policy.  It is reasonably safe currently because of the way lawsuits work.