From:
"Sue M." <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 1 Nov 1997 02:16:02 +0000
I think it was two years ago that I was going to take my ferrets with me on
a trip.  Delta was the only airline that I talked to (out of Northwest,
etc.) that allowed them in the cabin...underseat, $80 I think it was.

I was repeatedly told they were "rodents".  Finally it was explained to me,
I think by Delta, that the ferrets fall under the "small mammal"
classification by most airlines and that small mammals are rodents (most of
them), so when a non-rodent small mammal comes along, it's just classified
as such.  I couldn't believe the amount of ignorance out there and the fact
that they would think that it was perfectly all right for such a small
animal to not be at risk in the cargo hold.

I made my reservations on Delta, even though they were considerably more
expensive, and told them that I was using them because they would allow my
ferts in the cabin.  I ended up not being able to take them for other
reasons, but I was vastly annoyed by the other companies.  I haven't tried
to fly with them since then, so I don't know if policies have changed or
not.

Sue M.