From:
Judith Gallipeau <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 11 Jun 1995 15:17:40 CDT
Karen, I know exactly what you are going through.  My now three yr.  old
female ferret started losing hair on her tail in Jan.95 and then it
started progressing to her body.  On 2-7 she had surgery and the ovarian
"bud" was found, her adrenals "looked" normal.  Also at that time she had
a swollen vulva.  When things did not approve after several weeks I
attempted to breed her with an unaltered male.  More hair loss, itchy dry
skin, loss of weight and still swollen vulva, so I got a second opinion
and another surgeon and on 4-25 Weezul had a second surgery and the
surgeon found uterine tissue and the adrenals were the same size.  After
no improvement I had my vet give Weezul HCG shots, thinking all the while
it was ovarian related.  After no improvement I asked the FML for advice
and received several helpful responses.  Dr.  Williams and Pam Grant both
advised that just because the adrenals are the same size does not mean
they are normal.  They were right!  On 6-1 Weezul went in for her 3rd
surgery and the right adrenal was now slightly larger then the left, and
after the path was done by Dr.  Williams it was found to be cancerous!
Karen, there is a blood test for adrenal disease offered by the University
of Tennessee.  Send for the Adrenal Disease Package offered by Pamela
Greene.  It has all the information about this test.  Get a vet familiar
with adrenal surgery if you see no results soon and think about having
him/her look at the adrenals on this poor little ferret.
                               Good luck,
                               Judith Gallipeau.