From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 23 Mar 2006 14:49:07 -0500
Many thanks to the large number of kind FML members who warned me about
the nature of a given "Wagnerian" (great definition) post today before I
read the FML.  Based on recommendations I chose to not even read it, and
had no trouble knowing who it was since the individual has a long history
of selecting individuals to have a repeated attack targets on the FML.
(Check the archives.) I am just the flavor of the month for that.  (As
long as I am a flavor may I be lemon custard, please, a little sweet and
a little sour?)

So, no, my feelings were not hurt because I am just scrolling past that
person's ranting drivel.

Notice that I didn't even mention a name.  So much more gentle than what
I am told was sent about me that I figure its acceptable to remind people
that a look in the archives will answer a lot about repeated behavior and
people who were hurt or even driven off the FML by it (some temporarily,
some so far longer).  Seeing people's own words (after looking at
variations of the person's first name for the search) tends to speak more
loudly than anything else when repeated behaviors are concerned.

Let's move on to things that matter, and I'll continue to scroll long
term... LOL!  So, no reason for a pile of warnings about that person
from now on, and no reason for defense posts after now.  It's a repeated
behavior which experience has said to me warrants less of an audience,
perhaps less of a soap box.

---

Bill, thanks for trying to test the Science News site's accessibility.
Too bad it was down; the article's a good one.  [Been a subscriber for
20 years, so I will read it eventually!  BIG]

In the past we have had ferret's who adopted toy ferrets as their own
"dolls".  Spot was the most extreme example.  In warm weather he put his
ferret into a "den" of a small garbage can he would overturn.  In Winter
he would tuck the toy under blankets.  When he had been given his fill
of treats (back then not always ones that were as healthy as now because
information changed, as it just naturally does over time) he would bring
his toy to the area where treats were given and position it facing the
treats.  (My dolly is hungry.)

Hilbert has now adopted a toy ferret which lives in the huge cage they
have for nighttime.  Today it is back on the first floor with a jingle
toy placed next to it.  A couple of days ago it was on the third floor
floor tucked into the tent with its head looking out.  The day before
that it was in a hammock that if reached from the first floor with a
ball put in there with it.

Whose ferrets have their own ferret dolls and what do they do with them?

Oh, info taken from a pers.  com: I got a note from Dr. Jerry Murray
that FSH (which is also increased in production secondary to too little
melatonin/too much light exposure now has a strongly backed postulated
link to the formation of adrenal tumors, too, so LH may not be the only
player triggering adrenal tumor creation.  FSH stimulates the aromatase
enzyme in turn that converts other hormones into estrogen.

Oh, just a note about melatonin: the body produces it naturally in
response to enough darkness, and for optimal production complete
darkness.  Melatonin in high enough amounts inhibits the production
of LH and FSH.  There are a pile of great studies on its many useful
bodily functions in PubMed.

I figured I'd better clarify that because working with influenza the
last week has had a bit of an impact on my wording.  What the heck, I'm
only human.

Quick reminder about how too many raisins or grapes at one time have been
linked with kidney failure in ferrets, dogs, and cats: ferrets STASH, so
if you (anyone here) choose to give a raisin now or then *make sure that
it is eaten right then* instead of put away for a later pig out of a
large accumulated stash.  It is easy for a ferret to put away the already
mentioned 7 or more raisins.  Personally, we stopped giving raisins.
We've had ferrets with kidney problems from other causes and are not
wild about any possibly going through that again.  Besides, there are
safer treats on many counts, and we are far too familiar with the
surprises that ferret stashes can provide.

-- Sukie (not a vet, and not stashing dried fruit away myself though I
love it ;-) )

Ferret Health List co-moderator
FHL Archives fan
http://ferrethealth.org/archive/