From:
jerri carel <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 25 Jul 2001 10:20:45 -0700
It's obviously necessary for me to re-think what I'm doing with ferrets -
either I'm a shelter, or I'm not, which also means I will take in ferrets
in need, or I won't as opposed to just having a few as members of the
family.

In Illinois, I was a non-profit corporation.  After relocating to Kentucky,
I did not make any efforts to look into changing this to a Kentucky
corporation - it's expensive to incorporate, and the need in KY seems to
be much less than in Illinois (thankfully).

I tend to specialize in the old or sick ones, having the skills to tend to
their special needs and knowing that without people to do this, these guys
would sit out their remaining time in shelters, considered "unadoptable".

I currently have 11 such ferrets, and I'm quickly finding that without the
ability to fund-raise as I could as a non-profit, I'm quickly running into
medical expenses beyond my financial means.  In addition to surgeries and
treatments recently acquired, At this time - The following needs exist:

Cosmo Kramer Ferret - Chocolate Mitt, Male, 5+ yrs.  Exploratory
surgery - sudden weight loss, diarrhea, nausea.  Exam negative, x-rays
negative, but we're thinking obstruction.  Round of antibiotics,
eating "soup" well but no improvement.  Has had ECE years ago - could
find intestinl damage from that.

Autumn Pinklet Peanut Ferret - Color "Pink".  Female, 5 1/2 yrs.
A compulsive groomer - will "kiss" you from head to toe.
Obviously from her color, Autumn has adrenal.  Other than the hair,
this does not appear to be causing much in the way of problems.  She
has, however, developed a growth on a rear leg which must come off
ASAP.  This is the priority surgery - if funds allow, will do adrenal
as well before further complications arise.

Sunshine - Chocolate, Female.  4 yrs.  A reformed biter.  In need of
adrenal surgery - very swollen vulva.

Bunny - Petite little Chocolate Mitt, Female.  4+ yrs.  Bunny is truly a
special ferret - Chewed an electrical cord before being dumped by her
owners, lost her hearing, a portion of her tongue, lips on one side, and
a couple of teeth all from electrical burns.  Bunny is in need of adrenal
surgery - vulva is up & down in size.

What I'm looking for: If anyone is in the financial position to donate
funds toward the above surgeries, we would greatly appreciate your gesture.
All donations will be acknowledged and if addresses are provided, you
will receive a "Before & After" photo of the this group of ferrets or the
individual ferret of your choice as well as status reports and a small
gift.

Funds should be sent directly to the animal hospital:

Springhurst Animal Hospital
Account Name: Carel
9909 Brownsboro Road
Louisville, KY 40241

Donations for A/D food can also be made to the same vet clinic.

In addition, if you have knowledge of corporations at all - can they be
transferred from state to state?  Do I really need to be incorporated?
Do I even need to be an actual business to get a 501c3 status?

I've worked with 3 shelters plus my own (The Ferret Haven) in the past 5
years.  I have handled over 450 ferrets to date.  I do not really care to
start a debate as to where you draw the line with medical procedures for
ferrets of certain ages - I believe each of these 4 ferrets to be surgical
candidates and none of these surgeries are for purely "cosmetic" reasons.

Thank you for your support and/or suggestions.

Jerri Carel
Louisville, KY