From:
Carla Almaraz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 22 Dec 1997 10:18:44 -0800
Last Thursday, Dr. Erik Stauber of Washington State University called me and
asked that we find an attorney to "protect Jean's interests and rights". I
am excited to say that Jean now has an attorney!

The Animal Defense Legal Fund put me in contact with the lawyer who
suggessfully prosecuted a puppy mill case in Washington.  The lawyer is
*very* excited to be on board.  She will work "pro bono" (for free).  She
will begin her representation of Jean on January 2nd.  I will release her
name once she officially starts.
tt
The attorney will also be representing Jean for the civil litigation to try
to recover damages from Lance Seurer. She won't be able to bring back the 93
ferrets that Lance murdered, but perhaps she can help recover monetarily and
be sure that Lance is put away for a very long time.

Unfortunately, the attorney cannot start until after the arraignment so we
are attempting to secure local representation for the interim.

Nanette Leslie of the Animal Defense League Fund had already heard about the
case and said she was going to pursue it.  She was really glad that we
called to ask for help and glad that she could be of assistance.

    -Carla Almaraz