From:
Julie Fossa <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 17 Feb 2005 10:48:28 -0800
>From:    Rebecca Stout <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: wondering, and worms ...
>
>I've had many people tell me in privacy, in the dark corners of a room,
>or in email, that the average age they see ferrets live until is around
>5-7.  This includes a couple shelters and the countless emails I recieve
>each day from around the world.  .....

Wolfy, what a great post!

Personally, when we got our first ferrets, well, they were going to live
forever, because they were going to get the best food and vet care, great
housing, and an abundance of toys, love, time and attention.  Nothing was
spared.  Then I lost two of my fur kids at age 3 years 11 months.  Two
more at 5.5 years.  Five more passed at the 6.5 year milestone.  We have
one that will be 7 in early March; Frankie is failing, but I hope he sees
his seventh birthday.  Only 3 were not late alters, which includes
Frankie.

Looking back at all the shelter kids that have passed through my doors
and the ones that unfortunately departed for the Bridge while in my care,
I feel the typical/average age for ferrets to depart is between 5 to 5.5
years of age.

When families come to me to adopt and ask about their lifespan, I tell
them something along the line of: it is commonly said to be 5 to 8 years,
BUT I feel it is generally less.  Most pass when they are around 5, some
make it to 6 years old, a few beyond.

I have had some 8 and 9 year olds, and one 10 year old shelter ferret.
Generally, their quality of life is poor despite intense care.  Their
existance is hand feeding, meds, and cleaning their bottoms.  They 'bump
around' for 10 minutes then find a place to go to sleep.

This will probably be another can of worms, but that's ok.  Through
personal experiences, I feel:

*Nearly every ferret will eventually succumb to varying degrees of
insulinoma.  DIET, diet, diet.

*Nearly all ferrets have varying degrees of adrenal disease by the age
of two.  The youngest case I have personally encountered was 8 months
of age.  I, personally, strongly suspect two key factors: abnormal photo
periods and stressors.  All our shelter (and personal) ferrets with
hairloss on their tail received adrenal surgery, and we always found an
abnormal gland by pathology the first 2-3 years we tracked it.  After
that we only sent in highly suspicious tissue.  (Sadly, routine pathology
was one of the costs we needed to cut as a shelter.)

*Diabetes is either on the rise or we are spotting it better.

*MegaEsophagus is more common than believed.  I think many times
people/vets just don't recognize it.

*Finally, Helicobacter is so COMMON and so easy to treat, NO ferret
should die from it.  I have witnessed so many Biaxin and Amoxi miracles,
I cannot count them.  Virtually any upset/stressor can trigger it, and
it surfaces in young ferrets as well as middle age and older.

My disclaimer?  I am not a vet.  This is based upon what I've experienced
in the ferrets I've come in contact with and what my vet and I have
treated.  I respect that other individuals and shelters may have seen
differing cases which would make their views differ.

What would I do differently next time?  Restrain myself to a single
ferret; I'll be their best buddy.  Keep them in an area that has the most
'normal' lighting conditions possible, and let them have as much free
roam as possible.  Provide several hidey areas that are dark and hidden
for them to burrow into.  Treat for Helicobacter in kithood AND after
stressful events like vacations or illness.  Feed non-commercial foods
like Bob's Chicken Gravy from kithood, meat (and maybe pinkies or
fuzzies) for treats and use only glass dishes for food and water; no
plastics.

THEN, maybe my ferret will live forever.

Julie