Reply To:
The Ferret Mailing List (FML)
Date:
Mon, 6 Jun 1994 08:45:07 -0400
This is just a For Your Information, if you are in NY and concerned as to
whether or not there is action taking place that may make owning ferrets in
the state, illegal.

I don't have definitive word on any action.  I have been in contact with
officials in Hillsborough, OR where the child died of supposed ferret bites.
The police have made a finding and it was against the ferret - they claim that
the ferret was the cause of death for the 10 week-old child.  They also said
that NY had requested a copy of the coroner's report and that it had been
sent.  The report includes some rather graphic photographs.  My understanding
is that the photographs are sufficient to cause quite an emotional response.
Whether or not this has anything to do with any attempt to make NY a FFZ, I
have no idea.  I'm just passing this info along so that should it happen,
those defending the ferret should be prepared to counter it.

I don't know if it would help, but I do have a copy of a report on "Deaths
>From External Causes" which lists deaths in 1991 from a variety of causes,
giving them by age, sex, race.  It gives such things as deaths due to dogs,
spiders, poisonous plants, starvation, etc.  It's a long document (some 16
pages with the key) so I really don't want to be sending out hundreds.  If
there are one or two groups that are actively working on the NY legislature,
I'd be more than happy to send a copy of even a FAX to them.  My home EMAIL is

Dick B.