Date:
Sun, 5 Jan 2003 19:33:04 -0800
Ok, the "recipe" is...a LARGE plastic storage container, with a lid.  I
prefer the clear ones, so you can see the babies play.  I never used the
lid, but of course, my vacuum got plenty of use.  My box was high enough
so that if they stood on their back legs, just their heads peaked over
the top...I guess about 18 inches or so... make it high enough so that
ALL the contents don't get thrown everywhere.

Next, fill the box with uncooked (not instant) rice..  I used 20 pounds
at a time...rice makes them smell kinda cool too...especially the jasmine
rice.  They never had a problem with it, no inhaling or swallowing..  and
they even snorkle in it..it's FUN to watch them play.

Some people put the lid on and cut a hole big enough for a hose or tube
to fit into, so the rice doesn't get all over the floor...

The other item instead of rice could be beans... dried of course...I
got flies with mine, so watch out.  You can also use CORNSTARCH packing
peanuts NOT STYROFOAM..  I REPEAT..NOT STYROFOAM...I found the cornstarch
kind at my local craft store...you can make art objects with them, when
they get wet they get gluey and stick together.  My kids don't seem to
like those as much as the rice...

I'm sure there are lots of other safe things to use as dig box
fillers...any other items besides
Rice
beans
pasta