Date:
Sat, 21 Jun 2003 19:40:48 -0700
Hi All ~

I live in Overgaard, the area hardest hit by the Rodeo-Chediski fires
last year.  The smoke from the Picture Fire (north of Punkin Center &
Roosevelt Lake) is pretty bad when the wind shifts just before sunset
the past couple of nights.  Pretty scary to smell the smoke and to look
up to see a red sun overhead.  Luckily the Picture Fire is in a pretty
unpopulated area, and its still in the kind of brush that's a bit more
containable than the heavy pinyon & ponderosa.

That's what they're dealing with in the mountains by Tucson, in the
southern part of the state ... and we are praying for the safety of the
few communities and many firefighters there.  Our biggest fear, as we
sent out thirty of our finest to help, is that we may need to recall
them back home if we don't get a break in the weather.

Around here, folks are too much reminded of last year's terror and
losses, but as they look around nervously they know that this fire is a
wake-up reminder that ... no matter WHERE you live ... its a good idea
to have a list of stuff for the insurance company, and an easy-grab spot
with changes of clothing, emergency food, important records and all
needed pet supplies and medications you might need ... just in case
something (anything) happens.  And folks ... keep those pet carriers
clean and ready in case you need `em quickly, too.

Peri
Mr. Jelly Roll & Muki "Da Mukster" (ferrets)
Faddo, Loki & Sara (the dogs)
Nadia & Ninja (the cats)
Rat-Tatouille, Puppy & Neo (the ratties)
Happy, Joker, Snowball & Kif-kiff (the birds)