From:
Skip Dunning <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 5 May 1996 13:39:13 -0400
Hi All!  This is my first letter to this group and would like to take the
oppourtunity to tell you that I am very impressed with the "Family"
atmosphere.  I have'nt had ferrets very long but through reading letters in
this group, I feel like I've had them forever!:)

I adopted my first ferret (Bandit) about a month ago from a friend that
couldn't keep him.  His wife just had this fear of ferrets.  (and knowing
this, bandit took advantage every chance he got!) So Bandit came to be with
us.  The first couple of days involved getting aquainted, a couple of bites,
and finding new hiding places.  After about a week he was part of the
family.  I've never seen my wife happier with a pet!  He loves to crawl up
under the sink (ferret proofed) and stick his nose out to tease the cat.  He
also likes my radio controlled car.  (chases it for hours) He pretty much
has the run of the house and uses his cage only for sleeping at night.

Having such a grand experiece with Bandit, we decided we couldn't just be a
one ferret family.  So Friday I traveled about 3 1/2 hours north to adopt
two beautiful silver mitt siblings and cage.  (I verified reasons why this
person had to part with them) They are both 2 years old this month (brother
and sister) and have all their vet records and such.  It seems that they
need more time than Bandit did to get used to us as they had only known each
other for so long.  Freda doesn't seem to like anyone!  She got my wife a
couple of times just to show her who was boss!  Fred is a little more laid
back tho' he did take a chunk of my son's hand when he tried to get him out
from under the couch.  Other than that, I think they'll do fine.

I do have a question about vaccinations.  Bandit had his shots before the
former owner got him.  (pet store) Fred and Freda had their last shots in
April of last year.  How often are distemper and rabies needed in ferrets?
When should regular vet visits be done?  How do I go about finding a good
vet in my area that deals with ferrets?  (other than a phone call).  Does
anyone out there live in the Southern Maine area that could help me out with
this?  Like I said before, from reading these letters I feel a genuine
family atmosphere and am happy to be a part!  Thanx for listening!  Skip
Dunning Sanford, Me.

Bandit
Freddy
Freda
*     IT'S BETTER TO SHUT YOUR MOUTH AND BE THOUGHT A       *
*     FOOL, THAN TO OPEN IT AND REMOVE ALL DOUBT....        *
*                                        Author Unknown     *
*  Visit my homepage at http://www.mainelink.net/~sdunning  *