Date:
Tue, 13 Mar 2007 10:23:46 EDT
[Moderator's note: Further exchanges on this topic which are not
strictly ferret-related will be rejected. This list does not deal
with DOG breeding. BIG]

>You breed, therefore you contribute to the overpopulation problem,
>when thousands upon thousands of animals are euthanized every darn day
>because of.......OVERBREEDING! Just so you can have your purebred. Try
>to explain that to the litter of 6-week old (purebred) puppies that
>were dropped off at the local SPCA and were all euthanized last week.
>Tell them why they weren't worth saving.

What should I tell to my mutt foster puppy that I saved from a woman
giving him away in a parking lot? Or the people I have helped with
behavioral issues when I did free training classes at the local
shelter? Or any of the homeless dogs I have helped to find a home? When
I take dogs or ferrets in I don't ask for donations - I pay out of my
own pocket. You shouldn't make generalizations about people you don't
know anything about.

I have had two litters of dogs and so far no litters of ferrets. I have
been involved with dogs (training and showing) for 15 years and ferrets
for about 12 (as an owner). Finding my breed in a shelter is a pretty
rare occurrence and people who are seeking them out to buy aren't
interested in just any dog from an unknown background. Some people
aren't and there is no reason to shame them for it. On the other hand
most of the purebred dogs found in shelters are the result of ignorant
breeders who have no grasp of genetics, knowledge of their line and
who don't health test. Some of these dogs are suitable for work or
performance or being pets while others are not due to poor
temperaments. In breeds such as GSDs or Labs good breeders are still
needed - they are the only ones producing GSDs or Labs which can
actually "work". This is where police dogs and service dogs come from.

I personally think it is sad that you would support the end of purebred
dogs. Would you also support no longer having any pets by imposing
mandatory spay/neuter of all animals so there will be no future
generations?

I understand individual needs for breeding (overall health, allergies
to certain types of pets, etc., etc., etc.) and know that there will
be a lot of people upset by my statement, but its how I feel.

People who want to make intelligent choices in choosing their next dog
will research breeds, even if they plan on getting a shelter dog. A
dog is not just a dog - breed traits which I like might be too much
for someone else. There is no breed that is universally good in all
situations and often shelters know little to nothing about breed traits
and what is suitable in any given situation. Don't want an active dog
that needs lots of activity? Don't get a Border Collie or a Border
Collie mix Want a dog who you can take to the dog park? Stick with
sporting or hound breeds/mixes and stay away from traditional fighting
or guardian breeds/mixes.

Nikki