Date:
Tue, 23 Nov 2010 00:25:47 +0000
With regard to Bob, whom I have known for several years, although he is
frequently irreverant I have never known him to be intentionally harsh
or rude. I have always taken him as he comes and feel much the better
for that. I figure "Bob benefits" are worth the effort it sometimes
takes to figure out which twist or turn his brain has taken.

Now, about shelter finances, I am tempted to be both harsh and rude.
Having run a ferret rescue and shelter for more than 18 years I can
tell you that I contributed a significant amount of money every year,
often thousands of dollars. Anyone who wants to try making money at
this sort of enterprise will certainly neglect and abuse ferrets.
We spent money on shelter maintenance and on public education but
veterinary expenses consumed most of our budget. Please also note that
we never "sold" ferrets. We charged an adoption fee that was intended
to remind adopters that they were making a serious investment. Adoption
fees never, ever, covered our costs and even in a good year made up no
more than half of our expenses. Because we were a 501c3 I must plead
guilty to taking advantage of a tax break on my contributions. But,
Honey, if you believe that this represented some kind of profit I
invite you to make a sizable contribution to your local ferret shelter.
May your "Profit" be equal to mine!