Date:
Sun, 30 Nov 2008 19:07:29 GMT
I knew there was a reason I stopped just one short of my limit on the
giving tree. On Black Friday, that spot was filled. Here is was I just
sent to Kris, just before the deadline. I don't know how long it will
take, and it'll probably be the last ferret oln the tree. So here's
Butter (AKA Lazarus).

--Clover
and the rezweezils

Butter "Lazarus"

This miracle man came from the Lowery house in southern Indiana. Last
winter, I came home to find Butter cold and stiff on the floor. By
the time the vet and I had brought him around, and he warmed up and
regained consciousness, his temperature was 90 and sugar was 60. Except
for being put on pred and having a new nickname (and a couple of
episodes this September), he continued life as before. Then a few days
ago I came in to find him like that again. This time, the vet says he
suffered neurological damage. His body couldn't stop shaking after the
seizure had ended, and he was too weak to lift his head. Butter also
has advanced lymphoma and doesn't always sleep comfortably, so I
decided to let him go. But Butter got the shot and still refused to
die. I have to honor that. He may not last much longer, but with your
help I'll take care of him until he's ready. I have hope that the
damage isn't permanent; now he can lift his head a bit to eat soup,
and the twitches are much milder. Sometimes he creeps a few inches.
Butter has always tended to the sick ferrets around him; now he needs
someone to tend to him.

I hope that someone out there can make a full-body wheel chair or flyer
for him (longer than the standard), preferably one with an open area
that will still allow him to pee. He can't hold his own weight in the
front or the back, but he does paddle his legs when he wants to move,
especially when he wants to go potty. So if his weight is fully
supported he will probably be able to get around by paddling. Butter
soils himself and is bathed frequently, so he needs plenty of wash
cloths and hand towels, and could also use a dish pan for his own
private bathtub. A larger low-sided tub would be a cosy, safe, washable
home and playpen for this guy who can't climb. (I cut down a box but
it's too absorbant.) Gentle baby wipes and diaper rash cream would be
helpful. He goes through a lot of receiving blankets and puppy pads,
too. He's eating my chicken soup and chicken baby food now, so Walmart
cards would help to buy his foods. And he still loves his ferretone.
Contributions for pred and dexamethazone are also appreciated, and a 40
cc syringe in case he doesn't get enough fluids. Maybe you can think of
other things. This level of care is new to me.

Thanks so much!

Clover Williams
Rezweezil Ferret Shelter

Address for postal deliveries: