Date:
Tue, 29 Sep 2009 11:12:31 -0400
I think everyone should give at least one of these short articles a
read.

They have found that some pet products to have lead in them, especially
tennis balls and tennis ball like toys (48% of which contain lead).
Sport tennis balls are found to have no lead in them. This is because
the standards for pet products are very low as compared to human
products. That should be rethought! Let me explain why this does not
just concern our pets, but ourselves. Children play with pet toys and
mouth them a lot. Not to mention our own exposure. If Fido is wearing
a collar of concern we are also exposed. Talk about a brainfart.

Back to what is so very important to not just ferret owners, but all of
the pet lovers here in this forum who own a wide array of pets. Our
animals. The first link leads to a short article about this issue. The
second is another that Sukie pointed me too. The second is wonderful
because if you dig into the site, you'll find lists and lists of pet
products and the level of concern/alert there is about the toxic
chemicals in them (such as lead).

http://www.pittsburghpostgazette.com/pg/09269/1000863-62.stm

http://www.healthystuff.org/departments/pets/

[Moderator's note: Sukie suggests the following direct links as well.
The first visit to the site presents a page inviting you to register,
but you are not required to do so. BIG]:

Levels of concern:

HIGH:
<http://www.HealthyStuff.org/departments/pets/product.least.php?rank=high>

MEDIUM:
<http://www.HealthyStuff.org/departments/pets/product.least.php?rank=med>

LOW:
<http://www.HealthyStuff.org/departments/pets/product.least.php?rank=low>

Products tested which showed NO cause for toxin concerns when testing
was done:
<http://www.HealthyStuff.org/departments/pets/product.least.php?rank=none>