From:
Kevin and Marie McGowan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 3 Feb 2000 08:39:32 +0900
Hi Everyone.

I have a question.  I have three fuzzies and the oldest is 7 1/2 yrs
and she seems perfectly healthy except for losing her eyesight due to
cataracts.  The second is Taz who I have been writing about and he has hind
limb weakness secondary to Insulinoma and suspected adrenal problems (he
has bilateral hair loss on his back legs) and he is 6 1/2.  Taz seems
himself, his legs just don't work too well, he even climbs and skips about.
The third is Fenris who is 6 and has Insulinoma, suspected adrenal problems
and is totally blind due to cataracts, but seems totally happy and healthy
otherwise.  So, my question is this: How old is too old to contemplate an
adrenalectomy?  These symptoms just showed up in the last few months and
being in Japan kinda makes it hard to find a vet.  I can get to one that
is several hundred miles from where I live that has experience with the
surgery and is English speaking.  The thing is I talked with some other
vets and they all say Taz an Fenris are too old to do it.  I have heard
from other ferret parents that I should do it as long as they are still
active and healthy.  I am just so confused.  I don't want my babies to
suffer needlessly and I don't want to put them through a difficult surgery
if it will only add a few weeks or months to their lives.  I am so torn and
I feel uneducated.

I guess I qualify as a "stupid ignoramous" like Lisette said.

Any info would be appreciated.  Thanks to all.

-Marie and the fuzzies