From:
Troy Lynn Eckart <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 1 Jul 1998 10:27:16 -0500
We enclosed the back patio for our group.  Our enclosure is attached
directly to the house so they can go out whenever they want but using the
same you can make a separate enclosure in the yard (for those that rent).

Materials:
2x2x12
1x1 or 1x2 welded wire
metal screening
drill
screws
paint

First you'll need to figure out what size enclosure you want, then -

Cut and paint the 2x2's. Let dry.

Make a wooden frame with the 2x2's that is 4-6 ft high and 3-4 ft wide
(depends on width of screen and welded wire).  Be sure to use a cross bar
at the middle.  Staple screening on frame.  U Staple wire on frame.

Each wooden frame section will be connected to another to form a 'box'
style enclosure.  You will to do the same for the top if you choose not to
have a solid roof.  Ours is made with the panels and is working well.
Let's rain and shine in.

For the bottom if it is on a grassy surface,dig down about a foot and lay
down the welded wire so it will run under the panels and can be stapled on
the outside.  For ease, don't dig, just lay down the wire and then dump in
some potting soil to cover the wire.

Depending on the size of enclosure you make you may want to put an area with
shading or another level.  If you make the enclosure 6 ft high and large
enough - you can sit out there with the ferrets too.

For the door area we used a wooden screen door and put it right in the
frame panel.  We then covered it with the welded wire (to prevent
escapes).

Ours has a large carrier with a hammock in it and I find Spiccup out there
frequently.  I also have a Ruff dog house that before I put the top on, I
strung a receiving blanket across the middle and it too serves as a nice
hammock.  The dog house and hammock are always full.  It sits on the
inside landing by the back door.

If anyone needs more detailed instructions please let me know.  This was
so simple even I could do it.  Of course I had to have someone put up the
panels and attache them to each other but putting them together was a
breeze.  Total cost to enclose a 12x15 patio (sides and top) was $800.

Hope this is helpful.

Hugs. tle