From:
"Church, Robert Ray (UMC-Student)" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 23 Jun 2003 14:50:08 -0500
Q: I collect ferret pins, buttons, magnets and the like....do you know
   where I can get some?

A: I WILL ignore the obvious joke and mention nothing about traveling to
   Nevada.

A lot of shelters offer small curios for sale.  For example, the Cascade
Ferret Network offers GREAT buttons, refigerator magnets, stickers,
decals, etc., for sale to help support the shelter (I wear one of their
"Ferret Fanatic" buttons, and LOVE their "Have you stroked your weasel"
refigerator magnet, which adorns the base of my microscope!).  I am sure
you can contact Elayne on their Cascade Ferret Network web page.

I think the Ferret Wise Shelter still has a few pens for sale.  I see
them from time to time on eBay.  There are dozens more shelters I can
recall making such stuff, but I can't remember exactly what they offer or
I would mention them by name.  Perhaps some of them, including those I've
mentioned, can clarify what they have to offer and how to contact them.

I think making small buttons and the like is a wonderful idea for
shelters to make a few bucks.  The truth is, I have DOZENS of ferret
t-shirts, so while I might still want a few, what *I* really like is
the small buttons and magnets that I can stick around or wear.  More
and more people are collecting ferret stuff, and these sort of small
items historically gain value because they have such a limited release
(besides, I love them for their historical interest).  At one show I
saw a lady wearng a vest COVERED with pins, buttons, and other ferret
collectibles.  I think shelters should offer more of them.

For those readers who want to support a shelter but have a hard time
giving away money, buying small trinkets is a good way to help support a
number of shelters.  Toss in a few extra bucks when you are buying these
things--the ferrets will appreciate it.

Bob C