From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 25 Nov 2003 19:01:40 -0500
Ashling does have carcinoma.  A second reading was done.  It is of an
epithelial nature and the internal mass which looked like an abdomenal
node on ultrasound was thought to actually be a tumor since there are
no lymph cells.  She is going down hill fast, and has been for the last
approximately 2 months -- faster than I have ever seen with lymphoma.
So, we are spoiling her and she is going to have some Lasix now added
to her other meds, plus arrangements are in place for pain meds to be
provided when she comes to need those.  The testing evidence is that
multiple organ systems are having problems with her kidneys the worst
right now.

Okay, I am seriously collecting info on managing around ferrets with
footwear.  It looks like I won't need a cast (Whew!) but I'll be having
braces made for pretty much constant wearing, and honestly I am looking
forward to them because when my feet at held in the position those will
keep me in their pain is controlled, and the braces will also make my
feet more stable, and help prevent or reduce further bone derangement.
It turns out the problem is Cavovarus Feet so now they have to find out
why I have developed them.  (Yuck.  Tests.)  Hopefully, it just be due
to damage from that past neuromuscular disease I had some time ago.

I have some good news to share: the Depo-Medrol shots which Sherman has
every three weeks are working marvelously on his IBD.  He is just making
continual slow improvements.  Prednisolone had stopped working, but now
after three shots (the first two having been 2 and 1/2 weeks apart) his
stools are the consistency of thick oatmeal and there is even some shape
to them.  We hadn't heard of this med being tried before though it made
sense to try, but since Imuran is such a strong med we wanted to try
something a bit safer first and we are all very happy about the results.
At this rate Sherman might even have normal stools in a few weeks.  So
amazing!  It also did him good about two months ago get out that vascular
abnormality he had which was threatening to burst.  He is very happy boy
right now!  He'll never have a full coat of fur due to long steroid use
but he loves to roll over for tube-treat (Nutrical) and he enjoys his
play and hugs.