From:
"Holender, David" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 22 Jul 2000 23:09:04 +1200
Salutations,

FLYING FERRETS
Seems to me that my ferrets have absolutely no concept of fear and have
adopted the attitude of "If it looks leapable, it probably is!".  I've
already posted about how a couple of my ferrets like to scare the bejeezus
out of me by leaping off the arm of the couch and onto my back when I'm at
the computer desk.  Sometimes their claws grip, followed by a scramble up
my back and onto the desk before I realise what is happening.  Other times,
they 'bounce' off my back and land with a thud.  They just pick themselves
up and run off, while I sit there waiting for my heartbeat to return to
normal.  I don't know how high they can 'safely' fall from, but this
happens on a regular basis (falling off my back) and occasionally they
will fall from the window sill and so far no sign of injury.

WATERMELON
Watermelon is the undisputed favourite treat by far of all the ferrets I
have had or looked after.  As for the 'lip licking', my ferrets remind me
more of Homer Simpson at the dinner table, shovelling food, when eating
watermelon - "Can't talk... Must eat...".  They just stand their with their
snouts in the trough!  Normally they would grab a treat, run off, then come
back, but for watermelon they can't take the risk that one of the others
will get more than their fair share!  My friends and workmates think I am
nuts because I buy the first of the seasons watermelons for my ferrets at a
*very* big premium (~NZ$7 a kilogram (~US$15 a kilogram)), but hey, they
are worth it!  As with all fruit, don't give too much or they will get
'the green apple splatters" (diarrhoea).

-Dooks,
David,
Thor, Grover, Lady Penelope, Milly, Snuff and foster Rangi