From:
Date:
Thu, 12 Jun 1997 13:32:58 -0700
>From:    Anonymous Poster <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: hunger strike?
>If , as I read on a post today, it is already too late for the man to take
>the post exposure series of shots, WHY KILL KODO?????

As we learned it from Dr. Hoffman (AFA health affairs chair and VP) rabies
in humans can take from 10 days to several years to show up.  Even if the
scratch victim (okay since it was a tooth its technically and legally a
bite) got rabies now you wouldn't know if it was from Kodo.  Dr. Hoffman was
one of the folks called to testify on behalf of Kodo.  She is adamant that
there is zero chance Kodo has rabies and is the medical expert who testified
as such.

It is not too late for preventative shots (which are the same shots as the
vaccine now) until symptoms appear - I believe that right.  But it is not
some magic ten day figure.  I'd heard that too and thought it was right
until I talked to an expert in the area.

>I would like to end transmission by repeating something Sharon Burbine,
>President of the Mass. Ferret Friends, Inc said "I can't think of a public
>health agency in any other state (that) has endorsed killing an animal for
>rabies testing without evidence of rabies exposure.  She says many more
>valuable indisputable things (that is me talking and I am no lawyer)...  the

Except thats not true.  Nearly all states have done this.  I'm absolutely
positive about Virginia and Maryland.  Well Virginia handles this county by
county - so I'm positive about Prince William County.

bill and diane killian
zen and the art of ferrets
http://www.zenferret.com/
mailto:[log in to unmask]