From:
Linda Iroff <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 2 Jul 1999 11:03:38 -0400
If you plan to write, email or call the NYC station that broadcast the
negative comments about ferrets, or to contact the NYC Board of Health to
protest their classification of ferrets as wild and dangerous animals, or
to contact the Mayor, etc, PLEASE remember, you will catch more flies with
honey than vinegar.

Yes these people may be ill-informed idiots, but calling them that will
only make them defensive and less inclined to listen to reason.  You will
not win any points for your cause that way, or gain more supporters.

Early last year, there was a well-publicized case of a ferret supposedly
mauling an infant in Cleveland.  A popular local radio show referred to
ferrets as "rodents" and had lots of negative stuff to say about them.
Several people wrote or called the station in protest, and they did
apologize on the air for calling them rodents.  I didn't hear either show,
so don't know exactly what was said.

Anyway, I sent them a nice email, thanking them for their willingness to
broadcast a correction, and offering to bring some ferrets to the station
to show their staff what enchanting animals they were.  To my surprise,
they took me up on it.

So Jean Caputo-Lee (now of Ferrets Unlimited/Raisin Retreat shelter) and I
gathered up our best ambassadors and "appeared" on their show.  We only had
5 minutes on the air, but my Belle managed to completely charm one of the
hosts, though another complained that they smelled.  It was overall good
exposure, which given the sometimes tactics of this particular show, was
very good!

So be polite, and you may gain a convert or two.

Linda Iroff
Oberlin, OH

Help support the Ferrets Unlimited/Raisin Retreat Ferret Shelter by visiting