From:
Danee DeVore <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 22 Oct 2003 13:44:04 -0400
Lorraine Kozlowski <[log in to unmask]>  wrote on 10/22/2003, 3:39 AM:
>Maybe I'm wrong, but I have to follow my own instincts.  However, it
>seems to me more ferrets suffer from bad reactions to shots then they
>ever do from getting distemper or rabies.

If a ferret gets either distemper or rabies, it is an almost certain
death sentence, and both are horrible deaths.

One of the reasons you do not see a lot of ferrets or even dogs getting
distemper is because most of them are vaccinated.  But, distemper is
transmitted fairly easily, and, if I remember correctly, does not require
direct contact with an infected animal.  And, because some wild animals
can also get and/or carry distemper, even if all the pets around you are
vaccinated, there could still be animals with the virus to spread the
germs.

I will agree that there seem to be more bad reactions to Fervac-D then
might be considered acceptable.  However, now that the new Merial vaccine
is available, there are choices, and that one appears to have a much
lower incidence of severe reactions.

I, for one, would not risk the chance of distemper, and so I vaccinate my
ferrets yearly until they are about 5 years of age.  I have had my share
of vaccine reactions, but there are ways to lessen the chance of them,
such as pretreating with Benedryl.

I will agree that the chance of a ferret who is kept indoors getting
rabies is slight, but I also vaccinate for that.  Not to prevent the
ferret from getting rabies, though, but to protect the ferret in case it
ever bites anyone.  An unvaccinated ferret that bites and draws blood, if
reported, will meet with a swift death so it can be tested.  A vaccinated
ferret will be quarantined and observed.  My ferrets lives are too
precious to me for me not to vaccinate them.

--
Danee
ADV - If your ferret hasn't been tested, you don't know!