From:
alphachi <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 24 Oct 1997 09:35:05 -0400
Wow, there is really a lot of NEW and worthy information surfacing about MF
practices.  Although it is largely disturbing data.  I've stayed out of the
round so far for three reasons: 1, I had promoted, in part, the last big
debate(pun? :-)) and I wanted to see what would transpire without my egging
on, and 2) there was little NEW info, and 3) I felt it was more about egos
than results and there was very little follow up on promises of
participation and action.  I'm sure you recall some of my earlier laments
while submitting to some of the more aggressive and misplaced actions, some
of which actually attempted to get personal.

BIG, at stake are the lives (and deaths) of thousands upon thousands of
ferrets.  MF may be the leading cause for "lost years of life" for ferrets,
more than any other single issue, perhaps for many combined.  It has been a
paradox how we all rush to save the life of one ferret while we ignore such
vast numbers.  Yes, there are many ferret "issues" that are being addressed,
but the continued lack of energy by many directed at the "MF thing" is
something I am not proud of.  I have tried to rally support in the past and
ran into more inflated egos than real help.  I DO want to thank the ones
that actually made an effort.  I am far from throwing in the towel on this
one.

I want to thank some of the recent posters for bringing new and poignant
information to the table.  Reality can be an ugly thing, which is perhaps
why so many appear to ignore it or distort it into something more
presentable, digestible and self-serving.  I sincerely hope the ones who
boast of pragmatism realize their actual ally was a perverse form of autism.

I am an MF convert.  Once I too bought the hype of MF and believed in the
integrity of their endeavor and actually advised people to "look" for MF
ferrets.  But that was a very naive time, my first ferret and many years and
tears ago.  And yes, my newer ferrets are still also mostly MF, but they are
rescues.  MF rescues are a commodity many will find in abundance.  A glowing
testament to poor gross sales tactics by MF and human fault and frailty in
their convictions, a lethal combination for far too many ferrets.  We cannot
reach EVERY purchaser or tentative purchaser of Marshall ferrets and educate
them, or help them decide whether ferrets are a good choice for them.  But
Marshall can.  If they can't or refuse to, then perhaps they should be
producing foliage and NOT ferrets.

Marshall continues to enjoy the discontinuity of ferret enthusiasts while
pumping out ferrets kits to anyone with the cash, dumping them wherever a
sale can be made, more than ANY other source in assembly line fashion, and
then actually killing the jills who gave them birth.  Marshall has
discovered that a little spin goes a long way with us.  It's about time
they do more, MUCH more.  And that goes for us, too.

For Kodo and all the ferrets with no names.

best wishes,
until next time,
alphachi

PS. As you can see, I am also staying out of this round ;-)