From:
Stephanie Currier <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 30 May 2012 16:59:09 -0400
I road trip quite often with mine. I use large dog carriers. I hang
a hammy from the side vents and it is large enough to accommodate a
litter box, and a hanging food and water dish. I hang a water bottle
on the outside and the dish collects the dribbling. Of course all the
regular stuff is packed for when I get to my destination. The ferret
suitcase is packed with towels, bedding, hammies, leashes, medicine,
litter, toys, dishes for soup and anything else I will need at my
destination. I have collapsible cages which are awesome, playpens,
playpen mats (stuffed in the suitcase) and in the cooler I have soupies
and keep several soda bottles that have been filled with water and
frozen. These will come in handy if your AC breaks down or if you get
stuck in a traffic jam and have to turn off the car or AC. Trust me...
twice I have sat (as in not moving and car turned off) on the highway
due to auto accidents. Once for an hour and a half and once for 3 hours
(fatality) Also check the laws on where you are traveling to: are
ferrets legal, what shots are required? I always makes sure they get
a dose of flea meds just before leaving. I take the paperwork of
distemper and rabies shots with me and keep it in an envelope in the
glove box. If any animals are exempt from shots due to illness be
sure to have that paperwork as well. Once my kids are diagnosed with
Insulinoma, adrenal or lymphoma I no longer give shots and get my vet
to signed an exempt letter due to their health. My vet usually has me
type it up and he signs it. This also came in handy once (at the 3 hour
traffic jam) I guess the cop had nothing better to do and since most
people were out of their cars, tossing footballs, and playing with
dogs, a cop was walking down checking collars and such. My doors were
open and he spotted the crates, asked what was in them and asked if I
had any proof they had shots. He probably didn't even know what was
required, just wanted to be an arse.

Well thats my 2 cents....well maybe it was a bit more than that. Have
fun travelling with them. Mine always have a great time, especially at
the destination. New sites, new smells, new things to get into. :)

NOTE: be sure to strap/seatbelt the crates or carriers in. Keep them
safe as well.

Stephanie
and the kids at Polecat Parlour