From:
Carol Voivedich Rager <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 12 Aug 2005 09:31:30 -0500
After weeks of test, medicines, and my veterinarian talking to LSU's most
knowledgeable doctors Samson is officially diagnosed with Mega Esophagus.
I have known for over a month in my head that this would be the
diagnoses, but my heart held out some hope that Samson had something else
wrong with him.  I was waiting yesterday for Dr. Smith to explain to me
the procedures we would be going thru to cure him, but instead the words
"Carol, Samson has Mega Esophagus and there is no cure, no treatment at
this time that will help!"  My eyes filled with tears, a lump was in my
throat that made it hard to swallow, but I did manage to say, "But if I
continue feeding him in an upright position he will be alright?"

Marc and I have for the past 5 or 6 weeks fit Samson's feedings into our
extremely busy lifestyle, and Samson has gained 8 ounces during this
time.  Samson is 3 or 4 years old, and I am praying he will be around for
many more years.  Samson is such a delight to live with, as are the other
19 ferrets we have in our home.  I picked up two ferrets Monday 8/8 that
were dropped off at the shelter in our Parish.  One male albino I named
Dale, and a little adrenal female I named Darlene.  Darlene had her left
adrenal removed Wednesday and has pounced back fast eager to explore her
new loving home.

Thanks to everyone out there who emailed me with advice in the beginning
of this long search to diagnose Samson.  I will on occasion update his
condition.  If there are any other FML members with Mega esophagus
ferrets still out there please email me.  I would love to hear from you.

Thanks again,

Carol, Marc and the ferrets: Newman, Big Jill, Stewart, Pacey, Lil Jill,
Loki, Lexi, Scottie, Sherman, Dinks, Spencer, Logan, Baxter, Samson,
Vincent, Callie, Ricki, Fritz, Dale, and Darlene