From:
katharine <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 30 Nov 2009 06:39:34 -0500
My vet uses a catheter. He is very experienced with small animals and
can insert catheters very quickly/easily. My vet clinic has a very nice
room for this purpose, with a sofa. He brings the ferret to me to hold
as long as I want. When I am ready, he injects the solution. It is over
even before he has finished the injection. It is a very peaceful, calm
passing, with the ferret merely going to sleep.

I'm sure he primarily does it this way so that it is less traumatic on
the client/patient. To inject into a vein is a sure thing. I certainly
have no problem with this procedure or I wouldn't allow it. Maybe
I've been fortunate that it has always gone well, but I have never
regretted doing it this way. I have never seen the first inkling of
any discomfort, start to finish. And, yes, I have been present while
inserting the catheter; a little bit of NutriCal takes their mind
completely off it. One who is a little wiggly gets a little whiff of
iso to calm him down.

The heart stick has got to be the most cruel way of doing things unless
the animal is already comatose, and even then we can't be sure they
don't feel it. It sounds like the stomach stick is just as effective
so why would any vet opt to do a heart stick?

Katharine
Florida