From:
William Williamson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 15 Apr 2001 08:45:32 -0400
>As to why ferrets are illegal in CA: there is no scientific reason for it.
>In 1933, ferrets were mistakenly put on the prohibited wildlife list when
>DF&G was formed.  Other states made this mistake, and over time, have
>rectified it by removing the Domestic Ferret from the Wildlife list.  Why
>not CA?  It pretty much boils down to the fact that they don't want to
>admit they are wrong and they get a lot of money by being wrong.  Sierra
>Club, Audubon and other organizations, for whatever reason, keep pumping
>money to CA DF&G for keeping ferrets illegal.  Never mind the fact that
>they never spoke up in other states where ferrets were illegal
>(Massachusetts comes to mind).

I've always thought that it was the other way around.  Sierra Club &
Audubon are unwilling to antagonize a large block of conservative farmers
and others (DF&G) because it might have a negative impact on other issues
that are more dear to them.

Ferrets were made legal here in Mass by communicating public opinion to
legislators and officials, and by helping them to understand the issue.
At no time did we place ourselves in opposition to them.

IMHO it is the local guy on the block that has to understand that ferrets
aren't evil and that the actions of the DF&G are.  DF&G will ultimately
reflect and speak for what the crowd tells them.

- Bill Williamson