From:
Date:
Wed, 2 Jul 1997 18:09:27 -0700
>From:    Tony Mastropolo <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: Testing the Theories
>In order to calculate a sample size, I'd need to know what the expected
>rate (% is fine) of adrenal problems is in both groups.

Good question.  No one knows.  Some folks claim 30% or more rate for the
"early alter" ferrets.  Soem claim none in late alters.  Both numbers are
probably wrong but somewhere in between is a start for both.

>From:    Chris and Tara Palaski <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Marshall Farms Debate, Ferret Math, and Other Thoughts
>BTW, has anyone DONE anything or have you just debated the issue?

Depends upon what you mean "done anything".  In reality, no - at least those
in the debates.  But finally this go round we have debate on what to
actually propose to Marshall Farms.  Some groups have done much work in
negotiating with Marshall on the retired breeders.  This work is progressing
lets not spoil that work by getting nasty.

>How can they pretend to say "Quality Ferrets and Ferret Supplies", when
>obviously, regardless of whether it comes from personal experience or huge
>studies, SOMETHING IS WRONG!!

What is wrong?  Their ferrets are high quality unless you choose to insult
the ferrets you yourself own and the majority of the readers of this
newsgroup.  Their supplies are also first rate.  Absolutely.

My first ferret Furball was a Marshall Farms ferrets and I will unequivably
state that she was as near perfect a ferret as could be.  Everyone who knew
her loved her.  As a pet, as a ambassador ferret and as a show ferret.  That
IS quality.

But we will not support them because there are problems that we see.  But
you can not attack them on what is good - the quality of the ferrets and
supplies as that is attacking with a lie.  When Marshall Farms wants to talk
to me about the problems we'll discuss what it would take for me to support
them.  Now I don't.  I've stated those reasons in this forum several times.

>I'd really like to ask her about he early kill policy for breeders, the
>early spay/neuter policy for babies, and the disease studies for MF
>ferrets, but I just can't seem to reach her.

Did you ever say these are what you would ask her about?  If someone was to
ask me about something as viciously worded as "early kill" I'd never return
calls either.  After all the nasty mail and threats they get they have
reason to be afraid of a noisy minority of ferret owners.

>From:    alphachi <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: What is the magic number?
>So I thought what is the magic number that will compel us to do something
>positive and concrete?

Drop the emotional appeal to do something positive and concrete until we
can actually figure out what that could possibly be?  Please help with that.

The heart is very important but the logical mind is the way to figure out
what to do.

bill killian
zen and the art of ferrets
http://www.zenferret.com/