From:
Nancy William <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 1 Aug 1996 15:43:42 -0500
I have been lurking for about a year. I try to start each day with FML.
Please don't think this is a flame but I feel compelled to write about
RECLINERS.

That word strikes terror in my heart and brings back memories of a midnight
call from my daughter.  She was in tears because her beloved Boogie was
killed in a recliner accident while they were visiting friends.  All evening
everyone had been very careful about paying attention to where Boogie and
Ricki were but all it took was one second of not paying attention and he was
dead of a broken neck.  It appears that he was killed instantly and didn't
suffer which is more than I can say for the people involved and Ricki, they
had to deal with him being gone.  It has been a year and a half but the word
recliner still conjures up these memories.

We were able to purchase a kit the next day as a companion for Ricki in
hopes that she wouldn't get too depressed and that helped a little.  The kit
that we bought was the last one of the babies that had been ordered before
Christmas and she had been alone in the pet store for about a week.  We felt
blessed that we were able to give her a home also.

Boogie was her first ferret and he was the reason that I came to love
ferrets.  When Andrea received him as a Christmas present.  I thought he was
cute but as he grew, I came to love him.  When Troy Lynn had some 14 week
old kits turned over to her, I went to visit them and wound up adopting two.
That was the start for me and then ferret math hit and now I am owned by
nine.

I would beg you all to reconsider having a recliner in your homes.  Even if
you are convinced you have your recliner ferret proofed, or that you always
know where your fuzzy is, or that he never plays around the recliner, ALL IT
TAKES IS ONE MOMENT.  Then you have to live with that.

In memory of Boogie (October 1994 - December 31, 1995).

*Hugs*

Nancy, Friskie, Sweetie, Charlie, Buster, Scamp, Randa, Drac E. La, Wannabe,
and Mugsy