From:
"Dana L. Howell" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 11 Mar 1998 21:54:08 -0700
We need some advice/help with a problem with our ferrets.  We had two female
ferrets for about 3 or 4 years.  The first was named Sadie, and when we
introduced a second one, named Spectacles, we had no problems with them
getting along.  They were good ferret friends from the beginning.  Last
summer, they got outside and Sadie was killed.  Specs seemed very lonely and
just moped around the house, so we decided to get her a friend.  There was a
male ferret advertised for sale in the paper.  We took Specs down to
introduce them and see what would happen.  Even though she is a small
ferret, half his size, she immediately took him on and wouldn't let go.  We
broke them up and tried again a few minutes later - same scene.  We were
discouraged but thought maybe it was because the other ferret was a male and
she had been used to being with another female.

Next we went to a breeder.  We picked out a small young (4 months old)
ferret and tried introducing her to Specs.  Again Specs just went for her.
It was awful to listen to, as any of you know who have watched a ferret
fight.  It's hard to say how serious the fight was as no blood was drawn but
it looked and sounded bad, and the young ferret wouldn't willingly come near
Specs.  We also found a somewhat older (1 1/2 years old) female who seemed
very docile.  We couldn't decide which would work better so we brought them
both home.  The younger one, who we named Gabie, was still quite frightened
by Specs and continued to run from her.  We kept Specs in one cage and the
other two in another, but we would switch cages so they got used to each
others' scent and let them poke their noses through the wire to sniff one
another.  When we introduced Annie, the older of the two new ones, to Specs,
Annie immediately went after Specs.  Specs was totally cowed and didn't
really fight back.

It has now been almost 5 months.  Specs and Gabie have made their peace and
will sleep together with no problems.  Annie con o go after Specs.  Usually
it starts as a sniff at the treat dish and then Annie just attacks.  We have
tried letting them just fight it out, usually Specs runs away, or when we
can't stand it any longer, we break them up.  We have used a time out cage,
hissing and rubbing Annie on the floor.  I don't think Annie has ever drawn
blood but Specs seems scared to death of her.  We still maintain two cages
and sometimes Gabie stays with Annie and sometimes she stays with Specs, but
we really aren't happy with a two cage household not to mention having to
keep them separate when we let them out.  They will both lick Ferretone from
our fingers without a problem but once it is gone Annie may or may not go
for Specs.

Does anyone have any good ideas?  We have read books and noted the exchanges
on the web and the opinions seem all over the map.  (Though we can see some
mistakes we clearly made.) Has anyone had a similar situation and made it
work?  I wondered if Annie just started out being protective of Gabie and
therefore beating up on Specs and has not adjusted to the fact that Specs no
longer is a threat to Gabie.  It's driving us crazy.  I know one answer is
to just get rid of Annie, but she is really a sweet ferret (except for her
relationship with Specs) and she and Gabie play very well together (since
Specs is older, she is not so willing to be playful with Gabie).  We are
baffled and welcome any ideas.