Date:
Thu, 17 Jun 2004 02:22:03 -0700
Couple of points here, if I may....

>Normally the cabin is pressurized to what would normally be an 8000 foot
>elevation.

All commercial, jet, aircraft are pressurized to 7500 feet, MSL.

>The cargo area normally is not pressurized and if so at best is
>pressurized to a much lower pressure level than that of the cabin which
>is low to begin with never mind lack of heat, is darn cold at cruise
>altitude reaching as low as 100 below zero.

Incorrect.  **ALL** cargo holds in American based airlines are
pressurized and climate controlled.  Think about it.  You have any idea
what would happen if any kind of pressurized container were allowed to
freeze or have a great pressure differentiation?

Remember the early DC-10 crashes that were caused by a cargo door
failing?  The rapid decompression literally tore apart the aircraft in
flight.

I have seen flights canceled because mechanics could not fix a
temperature sensor in a cargo hold, or could not get a replacement
pressure valve replaced during a rotation cycle.

>The only way to safely provide adequate air transportation is to buy the
>seat next to you and use that to carry the pet carrier with the fert.
>This is expensive but the only safe way to do so by air which planes are
>made for people and hard cargo, not animals.

Be very careful with this advice, and check with the airline you are
planning to travel on.  To my knowledge, only 2 airlines currently allow
ferrets in cabin while traveling, Delta Air lines, and a regional airline
in the South East...I cannot remember the airline's name.  (BIG????)
[Sorry, can't remember another.  BIG]  Even then, the ferret *must* be
in a carrier that will fit under the seat and you can only have 1 ferret
(Airline policy) in the carrier.

Before 911, it was easy to take your ferret onboard an airline, calling
it a 'Polish Cat', or a 'Siamese Palace Cat".  making sure that there was
no visual access to inside the carrier, and go onboard....in this case,
almost ALL domestic airlines allowed cats on board, but after 911, ALL
carrier's must be inspected...even those traveling cargo, live animal
'counter to counter', or DASH, so the ruse is no longer viable.

MC, The Rude One
(With Bancho, Artemus, Squeeks, Rudy, and Abraham.  In spirit, Bubba,
Billy-Bob, Garret, Snorkle, and Tuzigoot)