From:
Andy Coghill <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 19 May 2000 11:44:18 -0500
Howdy, all.

Dooks to everyone out there and condolences to those with sick or lost
fuzzies.

As I've previously mentioned, I've recently taken in a new 2yo toe biter:
Cody.  When I got him he had very dry fur/skin (had been bathed 2-3 times
per week) but now has the most gorgeous coat.  I've never personally had
the pleasure of being owned by a true sable fert -- and call it parental
pride -- but he is the most GORGEOUS sable I've ever seen... :)  He is
playful, energetic, and has adjusted well -- to me at least...

Cody had not been around other ferrets since he was a kit and the
ferret-to-ferret introductions were not quite as successful.  I had to
decide which of my kids to introduce him to first -- Tripod Bob (the
dominator) or Lily (the one who squeals and runs away around other
ferrets -- mainly because Bob seems to have always had a personal vendetta
against her).  For Lily's sanity, I chose Bob (OOOPS).  Bob immediately
chomped down on Cody's neck and the situation required intervention; Cody
now runs if he sees Bob coming toward him and I'm going to wait a while
longer to try again (until Cody is 100% comfy with his surroundings).  As
for Cody and Lily: now I have two ferrets who will hiss/squeal and run away
when they accidentally bump noses (which, when you see it the first time,
is kind of funny, but I feel so bad for them).

The good news: over the past couple of days, Cody has been getting bolder
(and Lily tolerating it) and cautiously approaches Lily from behind.  As
soon as she turns to face him, he will run a short distance away but at
least he's trying.  If he's (she's?) lucky, he gets right up to her and
starts licking -- not biting -- the back of her neck.  Last night after
play time, I even "caught" them sharing the same hammock. :)

The bad news: I'm not sure how long Cody's new friend will be around for
him. :(   When I got Lily she was the runt of a litter and is still a very
small girl.  She's now 7 1/2, blind, deaf, and just doesn't have the pep
she used to.  It just seems like she's winding down; she has been
progressively spending less and less time out of the cage exploring.  Right
now, I'm just giving her all the lovin' I can (and enjoying the kisses I
get back).

-- Andy, Tripod Bob, Lily, and Cody
. . . missing Fossa and Socrates