From:
Susan Malone <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 7 Sep 1999 13:15:31 +0000
I don't usually say much... just read and learn from many fine folks here..
but this subject did get my attention.  At the risk of opening myself up to
flames, I am sticking in my 2 cents.

Like Bev, I am both a rescue shelter and a breeder... the two are seperate
entities, under seperate names and very definate rules.  I can not speak
for all who may do both, however I know for myself personally, the idea
that something "unethical" goes on just because I do both is an insult.

My ferrets that I breed ONLY come from other reputable breeders, of
healthlines and bloodlines which are known..  and any kits which result
from pairings are sold under my ferretry name with a certificate of
parentage and contract from the ferretry.

Since I am producing ferrets I feel an obligation to help the ferret world
and ferrets less fortunate, hence a rescue shelter.  Even though several
ferrets have come into the shelter before unaltered, I would never even
consider breeding them, they are "shelter" property and adopted out as
altered pets only.

By the same token, anytime I am able to do an adoption day at a local
business, the ferrets featured are those from the rescue only, not my
own bred kits.

The only thing that is ever crossed between the two is that any extra
revenue generated by the sale of my own bred kits is donated into the
rescue account fund.  I like to believe that my loved, pampered babies
are proud to help support the less fortunate fuzzies.

Whenever I am contacted about ferrets locally, I offer a fair choice of all
that is available, and in fact, usually promote the rescue ferrets more.
The reason is Tulsa is still fairly new to ferrets... 75% of those who call
me have never had a ferret before and want to learn and I firmly believe
that for a first ferret, a slightly older rescue who is calmer, trained and
more laid back is a better choice than a young, hyper kit.

I guess I am starting to ramble and I apologize... my only point is that
there ARE many people who do or have done, both rescue and private
breeding.  Most of them are very reputable, and do a lot of good both for
the rescue world and for the betterment of private lines.  As long as the
two are kept seperate, there is not (or should not be) a conflict of
interest.

I am proud to call myself both a private hobby breeder of quality
bloodlines, AND a shelter who rescues and rehomes unwanted or abused
ferrets.

Susan Malone
Fanciful Ferrets By Pegasus
Ferrets Unlimited Rescue Of Tulsa