Date:
Sat, 25 Sep 2004 15:44:10 GMT
I think this has become off topic enough.  However, if I am allowed to
just comment on a few things.

First of all, I have volunteered and cared for quite a few ferrets
over the last 4 years.  I have had almost all the rescues come in
unvaccinated, and have seen almost all rescues over 4 with adrenal gland
disease and second most common in the older is insulinoma.  I rarely see
lymphomas or other health issues.  I see no link to vaccinations in my
small study and on going health issues in ferrets.  Could there be some
bad effect of vaccinating, or 'overvaccinating' ferrets- perhaps.  BUT
the most common health issues plaguing our ferrets are in my opinion not
related to vaccines.

We know there are diseases out there we can help prevent by vaccination.
Each owner will have a different situation and risk factors and have to
each weight the risks with the benefits.

I rescue, I am at more risk of coming into contact with diseases, I
vaccinate.  BTW, I have vaccinated a few a week or so after surgery, and
even one right before without problems- I did it because I had to but I
would recommend the animal being stronger before vaccinations.  Probably
if a ferret was well immunized as a kit and then yearly, I think as it
gets up there in years and not a great candidate for vaccinations,
probably would be ok without boostering every year- as long as the owner
takes precautions.

For children/adults.  Be careful about putting all your faith in one
anti-vaccine website link or two.  THere are two sides, and research is
flawed with so many variables it may be years more before we all know the
true story.  Sure, it is better when our immune systems get the illness
and fight it off, in fact, for some people that will be a synch.  For
some they can't do it and suffer.  There are probably some that are
predispositioned by genetics or something we have yet to understand to
not handle vaccinations well, a vast majority do and have no on going
issues.

Most vaccines used in children don't contain mercury preservative, but
here is an article saying the opposite about it, I would tend not to jump
on either as the real truth.  I like to wait until larger studies are
done.  http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/news/fullstory_20145.html

HOwever, like with our ferrets, we have to weigh the benefits with the
risks.  Like with all decisions we make.

I personally vaccinate children daily at work, and booster tetanus shots.
Polio is a series of 3 vaccinations, starting at 2 months old ending
between 6 and 15 months.  I am not saying vaccinations are not causing
any problems for us- but really don't see the evidence to support mass
hysteria that they are causing everything from MS, to lupus, to asthma,
and autism.  When something gets blamed for that many things, it makes
me wonder.  I will just wait and see, and stick by what is currently
recommended by the American Academy of Pediatrics and the CDC.  There
is no doubt in my mind that the diseases are much worse than the risk
of getting that rare side effect.

Patty K