From:
Date:
Thu, 9 Jan 1997 11:35:01 -0800
>From:    Juliana Quadrozzi - GA Domestic Ferret Assoc
>Subject: SC/GA Shelters, Found & Lost Ferrets - GA, $ for Ferrets,
>         Shelter Profits,

Nice post.  We've also been rather worried about the elitist attitude
than only some should be allowed ferrets.  Ferrets in many ways are an
inexpensive alternative to dogs and cats particularly for the ferret
fancy (or shows).

We are more fortunate than most financially but have no delusions that that
makes us any better or that that necessarily makes us better ferret owners.

Nothing makes us happier while running our shelter than to place a ferret
where we are the only possible source for financial reasons.  We're always
available to help these folks if medical emergencies come up.  We see the
love coming from the new owners and know we did good.  Its not their fault
that they can't afford some of the things other people can.

We don't fault other shelters that can not afford to do things the way we
do.  Thats not their fault either.  We have deep respect to some who differ
in their opinions.  Their shelter, their rules.  Our shelter, our rules.

>From:    TwoSpooky <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: mating behavior

Yup.  Just as you called it.  He's still got raging hormones but they should
subside and these urges will along with that.  The first two weeks after a
hob is snipped are the very worst.  We learned this the hard way - we'll
never neuter a hob and then deliver him immediately.  No way no how....

But anyway.  You might need to keep (unsupervised) seperate and (supervised)
together times while he's like this.  USUALLY this isn't too long.

>From:    Ferret Rescue of Tidewater <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: what is a shelter?
>I prefer to believe what I hold in my hands in black n white about the
>unsanitary surgical conditions and broken rusty wires protruding into cages
>than the third- or fourth- hand reports that other USDA inspectors
>supposedly said about other inspectors.

Gee I guess you read what we write but not carefully.  Same inspector on
what he did to another ranch.  No third or fourth hand involved.  MF was not
shut down nor was their license suspended.  But the same inspector suspended
the license of another ranch that we had seen personally.  We'd say he did a
very thorough job and was quite picky.  But this should not be construed as
us supporting dirty ORs and rusty cages, just us seeing that the same
inspector did in another case suspend a license and did further efforts
beyond what we would expect (that we will not get into).  We did not report
on what we were told this inspector had said as that would have been second
hand and not as reliable.

>In regards to MF helping in the CA legislation effort, I am glad that they
>are helping, but then again, that is purely a business decision.

Well since Jeanne Carley runs a ferret business (The Ferret Calendar) would
you say her efforts are purely a business decision?  We don't think so.

bill and diane killian
zen and the art of ferrets
http://www.zenferret.com/
mailto:[log in to unmask]