From:
Monica Istvan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 15 Jun 1995 09:33:04 -0600
We have had two suspected (fairly certain) cases in Calgary in February.  My
vets are anxious to have Dr. Williams' research, and other data when it is
available.  There have probably been other cases, but the other vets have
possibly mis-diagnosed it due to ignorance of the disease/virus' existance.
Presently,  no statistics are compiled, mostly due to the fact that it has not
been released as clinical with symptoms and remedy (which may take a while
longer from what I understand Dr. Williams saying).  Most vets here in Calgary
are not exotic - there are some who will treat them, but if you need emergency
service - forget it.  I had taken my last love in (MoJo) when she was sick,
but all they could do was keep her warm and give her fluids.  Then charge my
my left arm and leg, and *I* had to deliver her to her regular vet the next
morning.  I understand that emergency care is expensive.  I'm not complaining
about the cost, just the fact that unless a vet has a specific interest in
exotics, all that they are trianed for is feline or k-9.  (I'll skip equine &
bovine - country vets are a breed all their own!)
My 2#162#.
+++++
Calgary, Alberta  Canada
-----