From:
Fran Schreiber <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 26 Jul 1995 10:50:53 -0400
I agree with Matthew regarding "backpacking ferrets", however, I have a few
hints in the extremely hot weather to help with them and keeping them cool.

My three "kids" along with my ex-husband's "two" love it.  Be you either camp
in tent or trailer, both ways can be accommodated.  Trailer life is very easy
for them.  Get a cage that will fit where you need it (Call "Home Sweet
Homes" at (908) 738-9688 and ask for Ron as he builds the BEST cages to YOUR
specifications) to fit into that nook or cranny in your trailer.  The rest is
obvious, they come with litter boxes, removable trays for easy cleaning, etc.
Our Fuzz's love them and enjoy the rides along with the camp out trips.

Tenting it is another story.  Answer, again with Matthew, very good harnesses
and leashes ( I personally recommend the type that the "Hagen" company makes,
no matter what, they CAN'T wiggle out of them)  Also, your backpack is your
number ONE essential.  Make it their own travel cage.  However, be sure that
they are kept cool at all times!!!  What I do is take a one or two EMPTY
liter plastic soda bottle and fill with water and freeze it (or you can get
the chiropractic freezable packets that don't get hard and stay cold for
many, many hours, they are smaller and you can keep a few cold at your
campsite in the cooler and use the ones you need, provided for how many
ferrets are "hiking".  Next, take a pair of cut-offs from an old pair of
Jeans (denim works best) and make a "snooze tube" that will fit the frozen
bottle.  Slip the Bottle in the bottom of the knapsack and then put another
snuggle sack in for the "kids".  Another good idea is to sew a few strips (or
have your shoemaker do it) into the backpack walls with leash clips only
attached to these strips so that they can slide.  Keep the harnesses on your
guys and attach them with the clips.  All backpacks have at least two zippers
on each side.  Open then a little so when the backpack is on your back your
friends can stick their heads out and watch.  Lock the zipper where you want
it and you're off!!!  Tenting it does require leashes, a place the anchor the
leashes, something that can act as a litter pan, water and of course food.
The backpacks are good too because of their many "pockets".  In these
pockets you can put extra food in tupperware or the likes, goodies, your
plastic bottle of minatone, extra leashes, nail clippers, extra water for
hiking in a plastic jar, and whatever else your friends might need on their
trip.

Hope this was helpful.  Happy camping!!!
Fran Schreiber
Chip, Chachee and Lil' Choochee's Mom
Secretary
Legion of Superferrets- New Jersey Division  Secretary