From:
Melody Tomaszewicz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 26 Jun 2003 08:55:25 -0400
Kathy-

Charges for sending a ferret to the Rainbow bridge in New Jersey average
from $100 to $150.  Part of that is because the disposal of the body
usually costs about $50.  They're very specific on how pet bodies are
disposed of in my area.  If I were to take the body home with me, it
would run about $50.00 at my regular vet.  If I have to run the ferret to
an emergency vet because my vet is closed, an extra $30 - $50 emergency
fee is added.

I INSIST on being present to hold my ferret as he or she falls asleep
after the anesthetic shot, and then I cradle him or her as the final shot
is given.  Usually I have to reassure the vet (if it's not my usual vet)
that I'm used to this, and will not be too upset to see the needle go
into the heart.  I think one reason that they discourage people being
there is for insurance purposes...if a person faints during the process
and hits his or her head on the way down, they can be sued.

My regular vet trusts me to handle the stress.  I was very honored to be
able to attend the post mortem of my first little girl last year.  She
was sent to the bridge because she was dying due to aplastic anemia from
recurring adrenal disease.  When we did the postmortem, we saw that the
adrenal had turned cancerous, and it was spreading to other organs.
Believe it or not, I left the office comforted that I had indeed done
the RIGHT thing in helping her go.

Melody