From:
Ann Gruden <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 7 May 2007 23:55:11 -0400
To all in CT, ASPCA has issued the following alert re: private animals
shelters in CT and a pending senate bill regarding their regulation.

FACT has no issue with regulation, much as the ASPCA has stated. And we
would welcome clear and consistent guidelines. The issue we have is:

a) this is a substitute bill and did not go to public hearing. The
original bill passed out of the Environmental Committee was regarding
stray horses...where this came from leaves me dazed and confused....

b) the Environmental Committee is responsible for animal related
matters --- this was modified and pushed forward by the Planning &
Development Committee - what the hey???

c) it states there is no impact to animal control officers....I suspect
they would beg to disagree. As I can't find their website, and the hour
is late to call a few I know, and this just popped up, I gather they
may only be being informed. But clearly, there are many folks even in
a small place like CT housing and sheltering and fostering 5 or more
animals

d) which leads me to vigilante enforcement... how does anyone know who
has more than 5 animals, but.... yes, your neighbor or landlord.....
there is no true definition of a shelter...

Here are the applicable links:

ASPCA alert:

<https://secure2.convio.net/aspca/site/Advocacy?pagename=homepage&page=SplashPage&id=2185>

Text of the bill:
http://www.cga.ct.gov/2007/FC/pdf/2007SB-01080-R000574-FC.pdf

My issues:

a) wrong committee - environment is concerned with animal control - so
why planning and development?

b) vague guidelines and no clearly stated responsibility for creating
guidelines

c) small, private shelters are serving a social need, not creating
a problem - so what is the problem they are attempting to address?

d) Local licensing....who defines what, and how? Again, vigilante
enforcement - your neighbor is annoyed with you.

e) 5 animals? 5 elephants are far different than 5 gerbils, 5 ferrets
or 5 dogs....

I urge CT voters to PLEASE contact your legislators with your concerns.
The ASPCA website makes it very easy to find out who they are if you
don't know.

Ann Gruden
President
Ferret Association of Connecticut, Inc.