From:
Dayna Frazier <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 10 Aug 1996 23:40:12 EDT
I promise to keep it small BIG... but gliders are like little ferrets in a
way which is why so many ferret people get gliders eventually...

Sugar Glider: [Petarus Breviceps] An Arboreal, Nocturnal, Marsupial
possessing furred gliding membranes stretching from wrist to ankle that
allow them to glide from tree to tree.

They are very tiny when they are ready to wean [16 days in utero..  2 1/2 -
3 1/2 months in pouch - 1 -2 months after leaving pouch till weaning..
twins are common and are very small since two had to share everything...
they have chinchilla like silver-grey-dark grey fur with a long bushy tail
[tail is the rudder so until it gets bushy they tend to miss far more than
hit what they aim at in first flight lessons.  The babies are carried piggy
back on Mom or Dad or Aunt or anyone handy..  when Dad glides with baby its
kinds like the shuttle with carrier plane only real flat... think post card
with head and tail with postage stamp with head and tail on back... Mom's
fly like rocks when babies are very large in pouches... and they are very
very smart, mischeivious, and full of fun just like frets.  But..  they have
NO fear of ground dwellers so..  when the ferrets are out the gliders are in
and when the gliders are out the ferrets are contained to a restricted area
where gliders aren't... I had a fret jump up and snatch a low flying glider
once... the fret was very upset and couldn't figure out how to get this
noisy little furball out of his mouth..  and the glider was really telling
off the fret... with comical result..  I gently got the glider out of his
mouth [not a scratch] and calmed the fret... Glider went back to flying and
fret swore off fast moving targets before making sure they weren't likely to
yell at him... no harm done..  very funny..  but could have been a disaster
I know.

any info wanted..  please feel free to e-mail me..  but be patient..  I am
behind a bit... I breed gliders as a source of funds for my little rescue
thing here so I know quite a bit... and the web pages recommended in a
previous issue of the fml are good too... they sound hard but its really
very simple to bond and keep a glider if you want one..

Harry Ferreting..

dayna and the Woozles

 "Resident of... Marvelous Menagerie Of Mirthful Mayhem"
 dayna frazier  102046,3162  10-Aug-1996  17:53:38 PST